Elder Law | Medicaid | Probate and Estate Administration | Powers of Attorney
Special Needs Trusts | Estate Planning

The Law Offices of Mike Young has helped many clients establish and administer Special Needs Trusts. As an experienced West Texas elder law attorney, Mike Young has a thorough understanding of the laws governing Special Needs Trusts, and how such a trust can enhance the quality of life for a disabled child or relative.

A Special Needs Trust is a form of trust established to allow the beneficiary of the trust to receive funds from the trust without losing government benefits such as Medicaid. Typically, a parent, grandparent, or guardian establishes a Special Needs Trust for a disabled child or other relative.
If you are considering establishing a Special Needs Trust, you need the help of an attorney experienced in these trusts.

Mike Young can efficiently help you:
• Establish the right trust for you
• Assist in the selection of trustees
• Set the rules for disbursements
• Comply with federal and Texas law

There are two types of Special Needs Trusts:

Self-Settled Special Needs Trust A trust established using the beneficiary’s own assets, a lawsuit settlement, or a bequest from another person. In this type of trust, government benefits such as Medicaid are paid to the beneficiary, alongside funds from the trust. When the beneficiary dies or recovers from the disability, the trust provides for a payback provision to the State of Texas.

Third Party Special Needs Trust A trust established by a third party, usually a parent or grandparent. In this type of trust, there is no payback provision to the State of Texas. Third Party Special Needs trusts have many advantages, but if they are not administered properly, the beneficiary may lose benefits. This type of trust requires planning in order to maintain benefits

To arrange for an initial consultation with Mike Young or his staff, call the firm at 325-672-5100.